Most patients don’t realize they have already tinnitus until they experience having foggy feeling or ringing in their ears. The problem is, the resulting loss of hearing is irreversible; this means that by the time the damage has been done, and it is already permanent.
There are three things you have to consider about the noise exposure and should be taken seriously: how loud the noise is, how long you have been exposed to, and how close you are from where the noise is coming from.
For example 20-50 dB SPL that is the safety range you can be even how long or how close you are from the sound.
- 60-70 dB SPL the safety distance is 1 meter from the sound.80 dB SPL the safety distance is 5 meters from the sound and until 16 hours of exposure.
- 90 dB SPL the safety distance is 10 meters from the sound and until 2 hours of exposure. 100 dB SPL the safety distance is 15 meters from the sound and until 1 hour of exposure, but if you are 1 meter away from the sound, the longest exposure must be 5 minutes.
- 110 dB SPL the safety distance is 20 meters from the sound and 45 minutes of exposure, but if you are 1 meter away from the sound, the longest exposure must be 1 to 2 minutes only.
- 140 dB SPL and above the safety distance must be 80 meters and up but it is not safe to have long exposure to that kind of level.
What to do to protect your hearing?
Remember, you can take care of your hearing by protecting yourself from noise.
- Always pay attention to the noise in your workplace or area. If you think the sound level exceeds 80 dB SPL, wear hearing protectors to lessen the noise.
- Lower the volume every time you’re watching television or listening to your mp3 player or stereo.
- Always wear hearing protector or solid earplugs for outstanding noise.
- If you’re going to a night club, disco house or rock concerts, always take a break so that your ears won’t suffer from over exposure to a loud music.
Listening to a loud music can stimulate the brain. There is nothing better than the feeling of rush that fills your head and overflows your soul. But that is only temporary and the bad effect is permanent and you can never turn it back!